Caravan Parks, Camping & Accommodation

Environmental Health Officers inspect public accommodation premises such as lodging houses, hotels, motels, bed and breakfast accommodation, caravan parks and camping grounds on a regular basis. Premises that provide accommodation are required to be licensed or registered with the local government.

If you are planning to come to Broome for a camping/caravanning holiday between May and September, especially the school holiday periods, please ensure you book a site early to avoid disappointment.

Travelling with Pets

The Shire of Broome has 6 licenced Caravan Parks within the immediate townsite, during the months of June to September no permanent operators within this area accept travellers with pets. This is an individual operating decision that the Shire has no authority over. To accommodate travellers with pets the Shire of Broome elects to open  overflow facilities to accommodate those travelling with pets. However it is important to note that these facilities are restricted to a 7 night stay due to the nature of the services on offer. There are permanent facilities located directly outside the Townsite that accommodate pets all year round.

For more information on options and site availability please contact the Broome Visitor Centre on (08) 9195 2200 or visit their website via the link below.

Caravan Parks

The Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds legislation is the principal legislation governing caravanning and camping in Western Australia. In addition to caravan parks, this legislation also governs other camping issues.  Caravan Parks are inspected annually by Environmental Health Officers for compliance with the Caravan Parks and Camping Ground Act and Regulations.

If during peak season the caravan parks reach capacity, the Shire withholds the right to open Overflow facilities to accommodate travellers. Note: These facility are only available as a last resort to source accommodation and are strictly limited to a 7 night stay maximum.  Other means of accommodation must to be sought in the first instance.

Construction in Caravan Parks

If you are considering constructing a patio, annexe, carport or any other structure you are required to apply for approval from Council.  However prior to seeking Council approval please discuss your proposal with the caravan park manager. Please see below application to construct in a caravan park that will need to be submitted to the Shire.


Throughout the Shire of Broome there is no free camping, which includes sleeping in a vehicle, tent, caravan, swag etc. Camping is only permitted in designated caravan parks or camping grounds or when available overflow facilities. 

Camping on private property requires permission from the owner for periods up to 3 days or from Council for longer periods. Should you wish to camp for a longer period than three days, you will need to complete the application form below  and submit to the Shire outlining your reasons. It is a requirement that details are provided to address the management of public health risks such as access to water and sanitary facilities.

Council Officers, carry out regular patrols throughout the Shire to control any illegal camping activity. Any person found to be camping in an area that is not designated as a camping ground, licensed caravan park or private property without the owners or Councils consent are liable for on the spot fines.

Lodging Houses, Hostels and Bed & Breakfasts

The Shire’s Environmental Health Officers are required to undertake at least one inspection every year of all backpackers hostels, bed & breakfasts and motels within the Shire of Broome to ensure that each complies and all health requirements are being met. To obtain compulsory registration you need to submit the application for a lodging house with the Shire. Please note planning and building approvals may also apply, contact the relevant departments for more information.

External Links
Rate this page. Was this useful to you?