Cyclones & Emergency Management
Do not use this information for emergency situations. In emergencies, please refer to the Bureau of Meteorology warning page.
The cyclone season extends form November 1st to April 30th. Before this period some important measures should be taken:
- Start preparing for cyclone season by clearing your yard of any objects that may be picked up by heavy winds and cause damage.
- Trees of excess height and growth need to be trimmed to withstand excessive winds.
- Drains should be cleared of rubbish and obstructions.
- Emergency supplies including tinned food, torches, batteries, portable radios and drinking water should be gathered.
- Decisions about where best to keep your pets should be made.
The Shire conducts free heavy debris pickup services at the start of each season to ensure debris is not left to become a missile.
Information pamphlets, track maps and other resources are also available at the Shire office - why not drop in and pick up a copy?
Residents can access further information on cyclones at the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website.
The Local Emergency Management Arrangements can be downloaded here: LEMA
Cyclone Watch and Warning Messages
Ph: 1300 659 210
Fax: 1902 935 297
A new addition to the BOM website is a dedicated cyclone website which contains a wealth of information on the topic including warning systems, preparation & safety, FAQ's and links to various Emergency agencies. The links to these websites can be found below.
Tropical Cyclone Outlook for NW Western Australia Website
Main BOM Cyclone Website
Rate this page. Was this useful to you?