Nuisance Complaints Including Noise


At some stage or another it is likely that most people will be disturbed by noise of some form or another.

Noise is generated from normal activities whether this is just playing music, entertaining or working around the home. Excessive noise emissions that occur at a frequency, time of day and for a duration to unreasonably affect the health and amenity of surrounding residents are considered as an offence. 

Noise emissions are excessive if they exceed a permitted decibel level outlined in the Environmental Protection (Noise)Regulations 1997, or in the case of equipment, where its usage does not meet certain conditions.

Where necessary legal action such as fines, notices and seizure of equipment can be taken under the Environmental Protection Act 1986. Both the Shire  and police officers have authority to take action under these laws.

Noise legislation does provide for exemptions for certain types of noises such as construction noise, festivals, "specified equipment" and traffic noise. For further information please see the fact sheet below containing detailed information on specific noise issues. 

The table below lists agency responsibilities including contact details.

To Report Contact

Loud parties after operating hours.

Burglar alarms that have been sounding for more than 30 minutes

Police: 131 444

Noise from concerts or construction

Event promoter or construction company if you received prior notification;

Otherwise Shire of Broome Health Services: 08 91913456

Noise from premises that are licensed or registered by DER under the Environmental Protection Act 1986.

DER’s 24 hour Pollution Watch Hotline: 1300 784 782

Aircraft noise

Airservices Australia Noise Complaints and Information Service Hotline: 1800 802 584

Traffic noise along major roads

Main Roads Western Australia: 138 138

Noise from shipping and associated activities (e.g. loading and unloading at major ports)

Broome Port Authority: 08 9194 3100

Noise relating to passenger trains

Public Transport Authority: 13 62 13

Dealing with Residential Noise

Very often the best approach for dealing with a neighbour who is causing you concerns is to talk to them and work together to resolve the problem. Often people will be unaware that they are disturbing you and discussing this problem early on can help a neighbour understand your concerns and be more considerate in the future.

Tips for Talking to Neighbours

  1. If you decide to speak with your neighbour plan what you are going to say and remember a pleasant and calm approach is more likely to achieve the desired outcome
  2. Choose the best time to visit your neighbour and explain how the noise is distressing you and if possible, offer solutions.
    Some people may feel anxious about talking to neighbours and it is understandable if a resident does not feel comfortable in approaching them in this way.

The noise legislation does provide for exemptions for certain types of noises such as construction noise, festivals, "specified equipment" and traffic noise. For further information please see the below noise guide with detailed information on specific noise issues.

Should you wish to proceed with an noise compliant it is necessary to submit a formal complaint in writing  please contact the Shire’s Environmental Health Department should you require more information. 

Health Local Law Complaints

The Shire’s Health Department can also investigate nuisance complaints under the relevant Health legislation. Public health legislation exists to govern nuisances by way of odour and their potential to be injurious or dangerous to health. This can take the form of malfunctioning septic tank systems, keeping animals in such a way so to create a foul odour or attract pests, as well as any form of accumulation that in itself creates a nuisance or attracts or harbours pests.

Health Local Laws have been implemented to specifically outline how certain activities may be carried out so as to minimize any potential impact to any neighbouring properties.

Rate this page. Was this useful to you?