Public Buildings and Events

A public building is any building, or part of a building where people assemble. Public buildings are inspected for public safety by the Shire Environmental Health Officers who  regularly assess facilities used by the general public such as churches, recreation centre's, schools, pubs and function centres that are considered 'public buildings' by Health legislation.

Our assessment focus on safety of the buildings, we examine:

  • Emergency exits and locking devices;
  • Emergency lighting and proof of their regular maintenance;
  • Provision and maintenance of fire extinguishers and hose reels;
  • Emergency evacuation procedures;
  • Provision and maintenance of public ablution facilities; and
  • Adequate ventilation of the building.

It is important for public buildings to have correct exit paths and lighting so that public safety is ensured in the case of an emergency. An application for approval may be made by lodging an Application to Construct, Install or Alter a Public Building (available via the related information link below) and any other required information.

Public buildings need to be registered with the Shire. For further information and to apply please contact the Shire’s Environmental Health Services on (02) 9191 3456.  

Public Building Approval & Events

There are a range of public health requirements for concerts and events.  Under the Health (Public Building) Regulations 1992, outdoor events are considered public buildings. The following are requirements under the above regulations:

  • toilet facilities relevant to the expected attendance;
  • disabled access (for both the event grounds in general and toilet facilities);
  • evacuation plan, emergency lighting and exit signs are to be provided;
  • general lighting for evening and night events;
  • all electrical equipment, switches, meters are to be protected from the public and a certificate of  electrical compliance (Form 5) must be completed and lodged with the Shire prior to commencement of the event;
  • fire fighting equipment and adequate communications are to be supplied.;
  • Waste disposal;
  • Noise levels required to comply with the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997;
  • Food all preparation and sales are required to comply with the Food Act 2008 and be registered with the Shire Temporary Food Permit for more information please see our food safety section.

Please note it is important to obtain Event approval from the Shire for events held on public land, please contact the Shire's Events Team for more information.

Important things to remember when submitting an application are

  • Contact us for assistance in compiling your application, the Shire's events department and Health approvals are required for events held in the Shire
  • Give yourself lots of time - organising public events is time consuming and so as to ensure you receive a timely approval we recommend you consult us early in your planning process. Some large events require Council approval and will need at least 6 weeks to process.
  • Guidelines for Concert, Events & Organised Gatherings will provide information on a number of aspects of the event that must be considered.
Rate this page. Was this useful to you?