Food Safety


A person or business that prepares food for sale to the public is required by law to be registered with local government. This includes (as examples) restaurants and cafes, mobile food vans, home delivery meal services and temporary events for fundraising, such as community sausage sizzles, cake stalls and similar.

Please contact the Shire’s health services if you are unsure about this. The Shire aims to ensure the sale of safe and suitable food by all food businesses and groups. The Shire’s Environmental Health services work cooperatively with food businesses to achieve the best possible food safety outcomes for residents and visitors.  

Environmental Health Officers undertake routine inspections of food businesses within the Shire, investigate complaints of suspected food poisoning or contaminated food and provide information on matters such as kitchen design and food hygiene.

Food Safety Training

It is a requirement under the Food Act 2008 that any person preparing or handling food for the public must demonstrate adequate experience or training.

A free online training course for Food Safety – I’m Alert Food Safety Training is available to all food businesses, community groups and charities - simply click here - Online Food Safety Training.

Operating a Food Business in the Shire of Broome

Food businesses must comply with the requirements of the Food Act 2008, the Food Regulations 2009 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.   These documents are accessible online and detail the standards of fit out of food preparation areas and appropriate skills and knowledge required to prepare food for public consumption. The Shire’s health team can also provide guidance on required standards. 

Liquor licencing

If you want to serve alcohol as part of your food business you will be required to meet the requirements of the Liquor Control Act 1988. As part of the preparation for that approval, amongst other things, you will be required to complete page 2 of the Section 39 certificate and submit for consideration by the Shire of Broome. The form is available via the links below.

To Establish a New Food Business

To open a new food business within the Shire:

  • You will need to have planning approval for the premises.
  • An application to fit out a Food Premise will be required to be submitted to the Shire’s Health Services also to gain approval prior to commencement of any works.
  • Our guide to operating a food business in the Shire(PDF, 405KB) will provide you with detailed information on approval and construction requirements.

Taking Over an Existing Food Business

If taking over a food business, please note that it may require upgrading to comply with current laws and be suitable for the type of food you intend to sell.

  • Prior to opening, it is recommended that you contact the Shire to arrange an inspection with an Environmental Health Officer at the business. If you intend to make changes to the food premises, you must submit an ‘application to fit-out’ food premises for review and approval prior to commencing any works.  
  • Submit a Food Business Notification Form and pay the relevant registration fees;
  • Following completion of the above, you will receive a Food Business Registration Certificate and can start trading. 

Temporary Food Permits and Charitable Groups

If you want to set up a food stall for a community group or event, you must first obtain approval by submitting an Application to Operate a Temporary Food Premise. Note that a minimum of six working days is required prior to the proposed event in order for the assessment to be completed and approval given. The event cannot proceed without prior approval.

Temporary food stalls must comply with minimum stall requirements and have temporary facilities to ensure good hygiene of food handlers on the day. No application fee applies for temporary food premises run by not-for-profit groups. Approvals are for low-risk foods such as sausage sizzles and cake stalls.

If you are intending on running a sausage sizzle at Bunnings, please submit the Notification of Temporary Food Premise with the Shire.  

Mobile Vending

Mobile food operators are expected to meet the same standards that are applied to fixed premises. Please refer to the guide for operating a food business in Broome.(PDF, 405KB)

Cooking from home

If you intend to operate a food business from your residential kitchen, you will need to obtain the correct planning approvals. Please contact the Shire’s Planning Department for advice.

The Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code limits the type of foods that can be prepared from a domestic kitchen.

Food labelling

All food businesses are encouraged to become familiar with labelling requirements. The Food Standards Australia Labelling website gives a summary of the basic requirements for compliant labels. The website also provides information regarding foods which may be exempt from bearing a label.