Noise and nuisance complaints


Noise can interfere with communication, sleep and work and can be annoying.

Excessive noise near people’s homes or workplaces, especially late at night and in the early morning is considered an offence. Where necessary, legal action such as fines, notices and seizure of equipment can be taken. The Shire and police have authority to take action.

Dealing with Residential Noise

Very often the best approach for dealing with a neighbour who is causing you concerns is to talk to them and work together to resolve the problem. Often people will be unaware that they are disturbing you and discussing this problem early on can help a neighbour understand your concerns and be more considerate in the future.

The Noise Fact Sheet provides further information on specific noise issues including exemption for certain types of noises such as construction, festivals, “specified equipment” and traffic noise

Contact the Shire’s Environmental Health Department if you need more information or need to submit a formal complaint in writing.

Agency responsibilities and contact details.

To Report


Loud parties after operating hours.

Burglar alarms that have been sounding for more than 30 minutes

Police: 131 444

Noise from concerts or construction

Event promoter or construction company if you received prior notification;

Otherwise Shire of Broome Health Services: 08 91913456

Noise from premises that are licensed or registered by DER under the Environmental Protection Act 1986.

DER’s 24 hour Pollution Watch Hotline: 1300 784 782

Aircraft noise

Airservices Australia Noise Complaints and Information Service Hotline: 1800 802 584

Traffic noise along major roads

Main Roads Western Australia: 138 138

Noise from shipping and associated activities (e.g. loading and unloading at major ports)

Broome Port Authority: 08 9194 3100

Noise relating to passenger trains

Public Transport Authority: 13 62 13


Health Local Law Complaints

The Shire’s Health Department can also investigate nuisance complaints under the relevant Health legislation. Public health legislation exists to govern nuisances by way of odour and their potential to be injurious or dangerous to health. This can take the form of malfunctioning septic tank systems, keeping animals in such a way so to create a foul odour or attract pests, as well as any form of accumulation that in itself creates a nuisance or attracts or harbours pests.

Health Local Laws have been implemented to specifically outline how certain activities may be carried out so as to minimize any potential impact to any neighbouring properties.