Trading, Outdoor Dining and Street Entertainment


Trading in a public place 

Trading in a public place or place where the public can access within the Shire of Broome requires a Permit to Trade in a Public Place for which you need to apply for approval. This is to ensure any activities in public places occur at locations appropriate for public safety and access, including the applicant's safety and that activities do not adversely impact on the amenity of the area. It allows for the operation of trading activities in public places in such a manner that they do not conflict with, or prejudice, the Shire’s permanent retail business.

A revised trading policy was adopted by Council in June 2022, which will be trialed for a 2 year period. 

Applicants must comply with the Shire of Broome's Trading Outdoor Dining and Street Entertainment Local Law 2016(PDF, 355KB) and the Trading in Public Places Policy(PDF, 2MB).

Trading locations

Trading permits will be issued for the following zones: 

  • Broome Recreation & Aquatic Centre - skate park, Glenn and Pat Medlend Pavilion, outdoor courts and pump track
  • Surf Life Saving Club
  • Corner Cable Beach Road West & Sanctuary Road Carpark
  • Cygnet Park 
  • Demco beach Carpark 
  • Peter Haynes Reserve - Frederick St Carpark and Gravel Carpark 
  • Tanami Park
  • Solway Park 
  • Six Seasons Park 
  • Turf Club Carpark 
  • Town Beach Reserve
  • Woods Park Reserve 

Itinerant traders may be approved for the following: 

  • Only trade between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Sunday
  • Not trade within 300 metres of a directly competing business
  • May only stop in legitimate car parks, car bays or 50km/hr zones
  • Only stop for a customer to make a purchase

Trading outside of these locations requires approval from Council. This can take a minimum of 8 weeks before a resolution is achieved. Contact the Environmental Health team if you wish to discuss further. 

Fees and charges

A non-refundable application fee must be paid at the time of submitting the application. Annual fees are then calculated in accordance with the risk categorisation of the trading activity and the relevant fees and charges as set by Council.
Submit your application here - Application to Trade in a Public Place


Updated July 2022

Outdoor Dining 

Businesses wanting to establish an outdoor dining area in a public place must apply for an outdoor dining licence unless the outdoor dining area is 

  1. in accordance with a development approval (see Council Policy 5.1 Outdoor Dining);
  2. as part of an event; or
  3. in accordance with an approval granted by the local government under another written law

A licence will include the days and hours that the area is permitted to be used and the maximum number of patrons that may be accommodated. The licence remains valid until 30 June of the financial year which it was issued. 

The issue of an outdoor dining licence does not give the licensee exclusive use or possession of the dining area. 

Submit your application here - Application for Licence to Conduct Outdoor Dining on the Council Road Reserve(PDF, 125KB) 

Updated July 2022

Market Licence

Update coming soon! 

Street Entertainment 

Update coming soon!