Cyclones and Waste Disposal
Pre-Cyclone Waste Disposal
The Shire of Broome offers two weekends of free household waste drop off at the Broome Waste Management Facility to help prepare for the upcoming cyclone season.
The pre-cyclone waste disposal weekends are held on the last weekend in October and the first weekend in November annually. In 2020, the dates were October 31 and November 1, 7 and 8.
The facility's opening hours are as follows:
- Saturday - 7.30am - 3.30pm.
- Sunday - 8am - 2pm
The weekends are in addition to the six free waste passes each year to ratepayers. There is no kerbside cyclone collection.
Seniors and residents with mobility limitations can request assistance to remove items from their property. Please contact the Shire Administration Office on 9191 3456. Limits apply.
Eligible domestic waste items for the free weekends:
- White goods such as fridges, freezers and air conditioners
- Scrap metal
- E-waste such as televisions, computers, printers and monitors
- Green waste and timber
Items NOT eligible for free disposal:
- Tyres and car parts (incur $9 fee per tyre, dependent on size)
- Gas bottles (incur $10 fee per gas bottle)
- Mattresses (incur $10 fee per mattress)
- Asbestos (as per fee and charge schedule)
- Commercial waste (as per fee and charge schedule)
Items the landfill is NOT licensed to accept:
- Domestic chemical or hazardous waste