Trading, Outdoor Dining and Street Entertainment

market stalls2.jpg


Trading in a Public Place 

Trading in a public place or place where the public can access within the Shire of Broome requires a Permit to Trade in a Public Place for which you need to apply for approval. This is to ensure any activities in public places occur at locations appropriate for public safety and access, including the applicant's safety, and so that activities do not adversely impact on the amenity of the area. 

A revised trading policy was adopted by Council in June 2022, which will be trialed for a 2-year period. 

Applicants must comply with the Shire of Broome's Trading Outdoor Dining and Street Entertainment Local Law 2016(PDF, 355KB) and the Trading in Public Places Policy(PDF, 2MB).

Trading Locations

Trading permits will be issued for the following zones: 

  • Broome Recreation & Aquatic Centre - skate park, Glenn and Pat Medlend Pavilion, outdoor courts and pump track
  • Surf Life Saving Club
  • Corner Cable Beach Road West & Sanctuary Road Carpark
  • Cygnet Park 
  • Demco Beach Carpark 
  • Entrance Point Carpark* 
  • Peter Haynes Reserve - Frederick St Carpark and Gravel Carpark 
  • Tanami Park
  • Solway Park 
  • Six Seasons Park 
  • Turf Club Carpark 
  • Town Beach Reserve
  • Woods Park Reserve 

*Traders at Entrance Point must also seek permission from Kimberley Ports Authority - Application to hold an event or activity within the Port of Broome

Trading outside of these locations may be approved by Council. An applicant must provide a thorough submission to demonstrate how the location will meet the intentions of the Policy and benefit the nearby community, including the submission of a business management plan and risk management plan. It can take a minimum of 8 weeks (after a complete application has been received) before a resolution is achieved.

Itinerant Trading

Itinerant trading is when a business trades temporarily from a road or carpark, where the trader only stops long enough for the customer to make a purchase (for example, an ice-cream truck). Itinerant traders may be approved for the following: 

  • Only trade between the hours of 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Sunday
  • Not trade within 300 metres of a directly competing business
  • May only stop in legitimate car parks, car bays or 50km/h zones
  • Only stop for a customer to make a purchase

Fees and charges

A non-refundable application fee must be paid at the time of submitting the application. Annual fees are then calculated in accordance with the risk categorisation of the trading activity and the relevant fees and charges as set by Council.
Submit your application here - Application to Trade in a Public Place


Updated June 2024

Street Entertainment (Busking)

Under the Shire of Broome Trading, Outdoor Dining and Street Entertainment Local Law 2016, a permit is required for any street entertainment or busking. 

Types of busking performances may include:
  • performing with an instrument or multiple instruments
  • live performance, including but not limited to singing, dancing, mime, clowning, juggling, puppetry, comedy, magic or living statue act
  • creating visual art (excluding aerosol art).

It does not include the sale of any goods or services, spruiking, political rallying or fundraising activities, 

Students and children are permitted to apply for Busking Permits, with the permission of a parent or guardian. There are a few conditions for performers 14 years and under that must be accepted when applying for a permit. A performer under 14 must:
  • Be accompanied by an adult at all times.
  • Perform outside of school hours.
  • Perform between the hours of 6am and 7pm.

Submit your application here - Application for Street Entertainment (Busking) License

Outdoor Dining 

Businesses wanting to establish an outdoor dining area in a public place must apply for an outdoor dining licence, unless the outdoor dining area is: 

  1. In accordance with a development approval (see Council Policy 5.1 Outdoor Dining).
  2. Required as part of an event.
  3. In accordance with an approval granted by the local government under another written law.

A licence will include the days and hours that the area is permitted to be used and the maximum number of patrons that may be accommodated. The licence remains valid until June 30 of the financial year which it was issued. 

The issue of an outdoor dining licence does not give the licensee exclusive use or possession of the dining area. 

Submit your application here - Application for Licence to Conduct Outdoor Dining on the Council Road Reserve(PDF, 125KB) 

Updated July 2022