Food Safety

food safety.jpg

Food Safety Overview 

Food borne illness can affect anyone. For some people it may result in an upset stomach and time off from work or school, but for other people it can result in serious complications. 

Food poisoning occurs when you have consumed food or drink that has been contaminated by harmful bacteria, viruses or toxins. Food poisoning produces symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhoea, and fever. Injuries may also occur when food is contaminated though chemical exposure (such as cleaning products) or physical contaminants (such as broken packaging). Some people may also experience allergies or intolerances to certain foods that are normally considered safe to eat.

The sale of food is regulated by the Food Act 2008 and subsidiary legislation. Environmental Health Officers undertake routine inspections of food businesses within the Shire, investigate complaints of suspected food poisoning or contaminated food and provide information on matters such as kitchen design and food hygiene.

Please contact the Shire if you have any feedback regarding a food business or if you believe you have contracted food poisoning from a food business within the Shire of Broome - Customer Feedback and Contact Form

Food Safety Training

It is a requirement under the Food Act 2008 that any person preparing or handling food for the public must demonstrate adequate experience or training. All people who work in a food premises, including volunteers, must have skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene matters commensurate with their role. This includes chefs, cooks, kitchen hands, dishies, waitstaff, bar staff and supervisors.  

A food business must be able to demonstrate through their documentation that their staff and volunteers have the right skills and knowledge. Environmental Health Officers will ask for this information during routine inspections.  

It is recommended that food handlers and food businesses refresh their food safety skills annually.  

The Shire offers free online food safety training - I'M ALERT Food Safety Training   

Allergy aware also offers free training for chefs, hospitality and food handling staff - All About Allergens

Updated July 2022  

Establish a New Food Business

A person or business that prepares food for sale to the public is required by law to be registered with local government. This includes (as examples) restaurants and cafes, mobile food vans, home delivery meal services and temporary events for fundraising, such as community sausage sizzles, cake stalls and similar. 

Food businesses must comply with the requirements of the Food Act 2008, the Food Regulations 2009 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.   These documents are accessible online and detail the standards of fit out of food preparation areas and appropriate skills and knowledge required to prepare food for public consumption. The Shire’s health team can also provide guidance on required standards. 

Before starting your business it is recommended you review the information provided here and arrange a time to discuss your proposal with an Environmental Health Officer.  

Approval from the Shires Planning Services and/or Building Services may also be required before your registration will be assessed.  

Once you are ready to proceed with your food business, you will need to submit a ‘Food Business Notification’. You will be required to provide the following information:  

  • Contact details of the business, including ABN 
  • Food items for sale  
  • Food safety training, qualifications or relevant experience 
  • You may be requested to provide additional information on your processes, such as a food safety plan.  
  • Scaled floor plans and sectional elevation plans showing the position of all fixtures and equipment including*: 
    • Information on all wall, floor and ceiling finishes 
    • An indication of hot and cold water supply and wastewater services 
    • Location and details of toilet facilities 
    • Mechanical exhaust ventilation and grease traps (where applicable) 
    • Information on bin storage enclosures and wash down facilities 

*This applies to all new commercial food premises, new and existing mobile food premises and domestic kitchens. It does not apply to premises which are currently registered as a food business with the Shire of Broome where no modifications are being made.  

Our guide to operating a food business in the Shire(PDF, 405KB) will provide you with detailed information on approval and construction requirements.

Submit your food business notification form here - Food Business Notification Form

Taking Over an Existing Food Business

If taking over a food business, please note that it may require upgrading to comply with current laws and be suitable for the type of food you intend to sell. This also applies to mobile food vans. 

It is highly recommended that you request an inspection by an Environmental Health Officer through your Settlement Agent to ascertain the structural status and compliance of the existing fit-out prior to settlement. Please note that the Shire will require sufficient time to arrange an inspection. 

Details of the compliance issues will be sent to the settlement agent and it is up to you whether you ask the seller to correct these issue prior to settlement. If the premises is transferred in a non-compliant state, then you will take on the responsibility for bringing the premises up to standard before you are able to commence trade.

The previous owner must notify the Shire of Broome in writing that they are no longer the owner or operator of the food business, and the date the cancellation will come into effect. The new owner must submit a Food business notification addressing the following information: 

  • Contact details of the business, including ABN 
  • Food items for sale  
  • Food safety training, qualifications or relevant experience 
  • You may be requested to provide additional information on your processes, such as a food safety plan.  

Submit your food business notification form here - Food Business Notification Form

Temporary Food Permits and Charitable Groups

Not for profit/charitable food business:  

Temporary or one-off fundraising activities which involve the sale of food must be registered with the Shire. Sale of food includes activities where the request is for a small donation.  

Approvals for fundraising activities are generally only issued for foods such as sausage sizzles and cake stalls. Food must be shelf stable products or cooked thoroughly and served for immediate consumption

The Shire waives fees for community fundraising activities.  

Temporary commercial food businesses: 

Mobile food vans or catering companies that are registered in another local government will be required to complete a temporary food permit. They will be required to provide a copy of their current Food Business registration certificate. 

Please Note: A temporary food premises licence is only appropriate where the registered business is using their approved mobile food premises or where they are registered as a caterer. Where a food business is not using their approved mobile premises or is not a caterer they must submit a food business registration. Please contact the Shire’s health Services for further information.  

Temporary food premises application:

As part of the application you will be required to provide details of the food premises set up including: 

  • Location of food tables/benches 
  • Location of cooking equipment
  • Location and arrangement for cold storage. 
  • Location and type of dish/utensil washing facilities
  • Location and type of handwashing facilities 
  • Location of food serving area 
  • Proposed flooring 
  • Type of overhead cover 
  • Cashier/money handling location and arrangement 
  • All/any other food storage arrangements 
  • Any other facilities/equipment relevant 

You will also need to provide copies of any relevant training, qualifications or relevant experience.  

Please note: a minimum of six working days is required prior to the proposed event in order for the assessment to be completed and approval given. The event cannot proceed without prior approval. 

Temporary food stalls must comply with minimum stall requirements and have temporary facilities to ensure good hygiene of food handlers on the day. No application fee applies for temporary food premises run by not-for-profit groups.  

If you are intending on running a sausage sizzle at Bunnings, please submit the Notification of Temporary Food Premise with the Shire.   

Submit you application here - Application to Operate a Temporary Food Premise

Updated July 2022

Mobile Vending

Mobile food operators are expected to meet the same standards that are applied to fixed premises.  

Before starting your business it is recommended you review the information provided here and arrange a time to discuss your proposal with an Environmental Health Officer.   

Once registered, a mobile food vendor has the following options 

  • Markets: Apply to the Broome Community Stallholders Association Inc to trade at the Broome Courthouse Markets or the Town Beach Night Markets 
  • Public or private property: Apply to the Shire for a licence to Trade in a Public Place. Additional planning approvals may be required for trading to the public from a private property.
  • Events: The event organiser will be responsible for ensuring an application for an event is submitted to the Shire and that it includes information relevant to your business.  

Home Food Business

The Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code limits the type of foods that can be prepared from a domestic kitchen. Only food businesses producing low-risk foods will be approved from a home kitchen. This includes items such as -  

  • Jams, marmalades, chutneys, relishes
  • Baked goods (such as biscuits, scones, buns, bread, shortbread) 
  • nougats 
  • fudges 
  • meringues 
  • pickled onions 
  • cakes (which do not contain potentially hazardous foods such as cream, or do not require refrigeration) 
  • repacking of bulk packaged low risk confectionary products,  
  • repacking of bulk packaged shelf stable foods such as dried herbs/spices, flour, salts, tea leaves etc.  

While there is still risk of contamination of these food products, the risk is significantly reduced, as all these foods - 

  • Do not require temperature control after being cooked to completion above 75C; or 
  • Have a with a pH of less than 4.5; or  
  • Are shelf stable. 

A ‘Food Business Notification’ must be submitted. Please also see the section ‘Starting a new food business’. Before submitting the application, it is recommended you review the information provided here and arrange a time to discuss your proposal with an Environmental Health Officer. 

If you intend to operate a food business from your residential kitchen, you will need to obtain the correct planning approvals. Please contact the Shire’s Planning Department for advice.

Liquor licencing

If you want to serve alcohol as part of your food business you will be required to meet the requirements of the Liquor Control Act 1988. As part of the preparation for that approval, amongst other things, you will be required to complete page 2 of the Section 39 certificate and submit for consideration by the Shire of Broome. The form is available via the links below.

The completed form should be emailed to