Building Services

The Shire of Broome Building Services team is responsible for ensuring that State Government building regulations for residential and business are administered in accordance with the Building Code of Australia, and that relevant town planning requirements and local building laws are adhered to.

Our team assists in protecting the community from major risks to life and property, and in ensuring the sustainability of our built environment.

Our role in building services includes:

  • Assessing the key building risks and issuing permits.
  • Compliance.
  • Providing advice on building matters.
  • Building Certification.

We can assist you with submitting an application for:

Appointments may be required with a Building Surveyor if we cannot assist with your enquiry over the phone.

The Building Commission have produced a document called 'A Guide to the Building Approvals Process' to assist you with the building approval process.

8 Result(s) Found

BA01 - Certified Application for Building Permit  or BA02 - Uncertified Application for Building Permit
A building permit is required prior to the construction of all residential and commercial buildings and any extension or alteration to an existing building, and the commencement of any structural works or laying out of a site.

BA05 - Application for a Demolition Permit or BA22 - Application to extend a building or demolition permit
Required for anyone wishing to demolish any structure on a property prior to the construction of a new residential or commercial dwelling. The BA22 form is to extend the time period allowed for a building and/or demolition Permit to be exercised.

BA07 - Notice of Completion
The responsible person in relation to a permit must, within 7 days of completion of the work, or the stage of the work, for which the permit was granted, give notice of completion to a relevant permit authority. A permit ceases to have effect on the day on which a notice of completion in relation to the permit is received by the permit authority under Section 33 of the Building Act 2011.

BA08 - Notice of Cessation
The responsible person in relation to a permit must, before completion of the work, or the stage of the work, for which the permit was granted, give notice of cessation to act as the responsible person to a relevant permit authority. This can also be used where a builder becomes insolvent, dies or for any other reason cannot finish the works covered by a building permit.

BA09 - Application for an Occupancy Permit
An Occupancy Permit must be issued (and displayed) prior to the occupancy of any building excluding Class 1 buildings (residences), Class 10 buildings (sheds patios etc.) and incidental structures. An occupancy Permit can be applied for as a temporary occupancy permit in the case of an unfinished building or a temporary additional use for a period no longer than a year. A permanent change of a buildings use or classification also triggers an application for an occupancy certificate.

BA13 - Application for a Building Approval Certificate
This certificate is required to start the approval process to legitimise a structure that is found to be unauthorised or unlicensed.

The Building Act 2011 has been effective since the 2nd of April 2012. It has influenced the way you apply for and receive approvals to build. The Act has also introduced a new fee structure - see link in related information section below.

The Building Regulations 2012 that accompany the Act set out strict timeframes within which a Permit Authority (Shire of Broome) is required to process the various applications for Permits. These are 25 working days for uncertified applications and 10 days for certified applications.

What is a Certified Application?

A certified application has all the certification of the building standards completed prior to the application being lodged. A signed certificate of design compliance is lodged with the application as evidence that the required certification has been undertaken. This certification can be done by a private Building Surveyor.

What is an Uncertified Application?

This application is for  class 1 (dwellings) and 10 (outbuilding, patios etc) only where the certification process has not been undertaken. The Shire of Broome is required to arrange for the plans and specifications to be assessed by a qualified building surveyor, this will generally be someone employed by the Shire of Broome. That building surveyor will issue the Certificate of Design Compliance if the plans comply with the building standards, after which the Shire of Broome can issue a Building Permit.
If information is missing from the application for the Building Permit, the Shire of Broome can give the applicant 21 days to provide the necessary information. If the information is not received with the 21 days, the Shire of Broome may not be able to offer any more time and you application may be refused. In such instances fees are not refunded and you will need to resubmit with the correct information.

The applicant MUST GET ALL OTHER APPROVALS such as Planning Department, Health Department etc prior to making and application for a Building Permit. Time constraints will not permit these approvals to be sought during the approval process as currently occurs.

Are Swimming Pool Applications required?

Swimming Pool companies will have to submit engineering details (when required) with the application rather then relying on the Local Government Agency advising that a structural engineer needs to become involved. A separate building Permit Application is required for pool safety fencing if the pool builder is not responsible for the erection of the fencing. This may come from the owner or fencing contractor.

What is a Notice of Completion?

Within 7 days of the completion of every building project the builder must send a Notice of Completion to the Local Government Authority. There is to be a standard form for this, and it can be found on the Building Commission Website or at the below link. The Building regulations provides a $10,000 penalty if the builder fails to send the notice within the 7 days.

Can I submit a incomplete Certified Application?

You will no longer be able to submit incomplete applications for a Building Permit. It has become common practice to submit an application while you wait for other information to arrive then send that into your Local Government Agency. Item such as those listed below must accompany the application. There may also be other items specific to your application or to the site.

  • Engineering plans or certification
  • Builder must be nominated – all details provided
  • All owners’ details must be on the application form and the form must be signed by ALL owners.
  • Water Corporation Approval
  • DFES approval where necessary (including unexploded ordinance letters)
  • Septic Tank approval;
  • BAL assessment for houses within identified bushfire prone areas
  • Residential Design Code variations
  • Building Code Alternative solution approvals
  • Health Department approval
  • A copy of the Construction Training Fund Levy receipt
Page 1 of 1