Customer Feedback and Contact Form

The Shire of Broome value all types of feedback whether it is a concern, a complaint or general feedback.


We value complaints and encourage people to contact us when they have a problem with our services, actions, decisions, and policies. We are committed to:

  • enabling members of the public to make complaints about the Shire;
  • responding to complaints by taking action to resolve complaints as quickly as possible; and
  • learning from complaints to improve our services.

A complaint includes a communication (verbal or written) to the Shire which expresses dissatisfaction about:

  • the quality of an action, decision or service provided by Shire staff or a Shire contractor;
  • a delay by Shire staff or Shire contractor in taking an action, making a decision or delivering a service;
  • a policy or decision made by the Council, Shire staff or a Shire contractor.

How do I make a complaint?

Any member of the public can make a complaint. Complaints can be made by:

Telephone: 08 9191 3456



Post: PO Box 44, Broome WA 6725

In person: Cnr Weld and Haas Street, Broome

At a minimum, the following information is to be supplied in order to effectively process the complaint:

  • Name and address
  • Contact details
  • Complaint details
  • Date subject of complaint occurred


What is the complaints process?

When you complain to us, we will record and acknowledge your complaint within five business days. We will initially assess your complaint to decide how we will handle it. This may happen while we are talking with you.

After our initial assessment, we may:

  • take direct action to resolve your complaint;
  • refer your complaint to the relevant team or manager for investigation; or
  • decline to deal with your complaint if you have a right to a statutory review of your complaint (such as a right of appeal to the State Administrative Tribunal).

Where possible, we will attempt to resolve your complaint at the time you first contact us. If we decide not to take action on your complaint, we will explain why, and, where possible, inform you about other options. If we cannot resolve your complaint quickly, we will refer it to the relevant team or manager to investigate. We will advise you who you can contact regarding the investigation.


How long is the complaints process?

We aim to complete investigations within 30 calendar days and will advise you if the investigation will take longer.

We will update you every 30 calendar days about progress until the investigation is completed. We will inform you of the outcome of your complaint and explain our reasons.


Can my complaint be anonymous?

The Shire accepts anonymous complaints however the complaint will not be investigated unless it raises a serious matter, such as an issue that poses a public health or safety risk or an emergency situation and there is sufficient information to enable the Shire to conduct an inquiry.

The Shire is unable to verify information or communicate the outcome of the complaint without knowing the full identity of the complainant.


What if I am not satisfied with the complaint?

If you are dissatisfied with our decision and how we responded to your complaint, you can request an internal review.

The internal review will be conducted by a senior Shire officer who has not had any prior involvement in your complaint.

We will inform you of the outcome of the internal review and explain our reasons within 30 calendar days of the date the request for internal review was received.


Please refer to our General Complaints Policy(PDF, 464KB) for further information.

Please note that a complaint is not the same as a service request.

A Service Request is a persons request or demand, however made, for a service to be provided or an action to be undertaken by the Shire of Broome as part of its normal operations. Examples of Service Requests are:

  • a missed bin pick up
  • a pot hole
  • a barking dog
  • reporting an abandoned vehicle.

These requests can be made by filling out our Service Request Form.

You can also request a service by calling (08) 9191 3456 or in person at our reception.

Click here to view form.