Council Elections

General Information

Local government elections play an important role in our democratic system and are an excellent opportunity for people to contribute to, and be involved in their local community. The Shire of Broome is comprised of nine elected members, representing the one ward. Councillors hold office for a four-year term with ordinary local government elections being held on the third Saturday in October every two years, with at least half the Councillors' terms finishing at each election.

Further information on the WA Local Government election process and information for candidates can be found on the Department of Local Government Elections Information page or by viewing the frequently asked questions document in the related information below.

Additional information is available on the Western Australian Electoral Commission’s (WAEC) website

2024 Shire of Broome Extraordinary Election

2023 Shire of Broome Ordinary Election

Electoral Rolls

The roll for an election consists of:

1. The Residents Roll

The Residents Roll is maintained by the Western Australian Electoral Commission. People who reside in Broome and are enrolled on the State Electoral Roll for the Broome electorate will automatically appear on the roll to vote in Broome Local Government Elections. If you have recently moved or turned 18, or are unsure whether your name appears on this Roll, inquiries are to be directed to the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06 or you can check your enrolment online.

2. The Owners and Occupiers Roll

The Owners and Occupiers Roll is maintained by the Shire of Broome and is for those individuals who do not appear on the Broome Residents Roll maintained by the Western Australian Electoral Commission (as above), but own a rateable property in Broome or are nominated by a Body Corporate that owns or occupies rateable property in Broome. To be eligible, your name must be on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll for a district other than Broome. If applying as an occupier, you must have a right of continuous occupation of that property for at least three months from the date of application.

Each individual is only entitled to one vote, however If you reside in one ward and own or occupy property in the other ward, you may be eligible to appear on the Roll for both wards and therefore be entitled to a vote for each ward. Any inquiries regarding eligibility for the Owners and Occupiers Roll should be directed to the Shire of Broome Governance Department on (08) 9191 3456.

How to register to vote

Residents who are currently on the State roll for a property within the Broome electorate are automatically enrolled for the Council election.

To appear on the Owner and Occupiers roll you must complete one of the following application forms. Previous applications from owners of rateable property will remain valid for all ordinary elections unless there is a change in their eligibility such as they cease to own the property to which their enrolment relates. Claims made on the basis of occupation of a rateable property are subject to an expiry period generally being two elections following the acceptance of their enrolment.

For new claims, please complete one of the following application forms:

  • For Individuals claiming eligibility as an Owner or Occupier of a rateable property see the Enrolment Eligibility Claim (Form 2) in the related information section below.
  • For Individuals claiming eligibility where there are more than 2 Owners or Occupiers of a rateable property see the Application to Register a Nominee for Co-Owners or Co-Occupiers (Form 2B)  in the related information section below.
  • For a Body Corporate Claiming Eligibility for their nominees as an Owner or Occupier of a rateable property see the Application to Register a Nominee for a Body Corporate (Form 2A) in the related information section below.

Enrolment Claim forms can be lodged at any time and enrolments for any particular election close 50 days before Election Day.

Forms can be submitted addressed to:

Chief Executive Officer
Shire of Broome
Po Box 44 Broome WA 6725
Submit via email

If you would like to submit an application for a postal vote please complete an Application for Postal Voting Papers (Form 12) available in the related content section below.

Election Signage

Elections signs are generally exempt from the need to obtain Development Approval from when an election is called but must be removed within 48 hours of the conclusion of the election.

The election is considered to be called when:

  • Federal Election – A date has been set by the Prime Minister
  • State Election – A date has been set by the Premier
  • Local Election – The date nominations open

Election Signs within Shire road reserves

Election signs can be installed in the Shire’s road reserves under the Local Government Property and Public Places Local Law 2012 (Local Law). Under the Local Law the following conditions need to be met:

  • erected at least 30 metres from any intersection;
  • freestanding and not affixed to any existing sign, post, power or light pole, or similar structure;
  • placed so as not to obstruct or impede the use of a thoroughfare or obstruct or impede access to a place;
  • placed so as not to obstruct or impede the vision of a driver of a vehicle;
  • maintained in good condition;
  • removed within 48 hours of the close of polls on voting day;
  • not placed within 100 metres of any works on a thoroughfare;
  • securely installed;
  • not illuminated or incorporating reflective or fluorescent materials; and
  • not displaying only part of a message which is to be read with other separate signs in order to obtain the whole message.

If the above conditions are satisfied a permit is not required.

The conditions are incorporated into the Shire’s Local Laws to maintain safety. Signs that do not comply with these conditions may be removed by Shire staff and held at the Shire depot, from where they can be collected by request.

Gubinge Road, Great Northern Highway and Broome Road are under the care and control of Main Roads WA. If you are intending upon installing election signs on these roads please contact the MRWA office in Derby on 9158 4333.

Signs on private property or property fences

Under clause 61(1)(g) of the deemed provisions of the Shire of Broome Local Planning Scheme No 6 (LPS6) the temporary erection of an advertisement installed in connection with an election is exempt from development approval. Please note that signs on private property or on property fences must have the approval of the landowner and must be removed within 48 hours after the election.

If you have any questions regarding election signage please do not hesitate to contact the Shire.