Cyclones and Waste Disposal
Pre-Cyclone Waste Disposal
The Shire of Broome offers two weekends of free household waste drop off at the Broome Waste Management Facility to help prepare for the upcoming cyclone season.
The pre-cyclone waste disposal weekends are held on the last weekend in October and the first weekend in November annually. In 2022, the dates are Saturday, October 29 and Sunday, October 30, and Saturday, November 5 and Sunday, November 6.
The facility's opening hours are as follows:
- Saturday - 7.30am - 3.30pm.
- Sunday - 8am - 2pm
The weekends are in addition to the six free waste passes each year to ratepayers. There is no kerbside cyclone collection.
Seniors/pensioners who do not have the ability to take rubbish to the Waste Management Facility can request a skip bin for a fee of $11. This will be dropped off and picked up the following week. Please contact the Shire Administration Office on 9191 3456. Limits apply.
Eligible domestic waste items for the free weekends:
- White goods such as fridges, freezers and air conditioners
- Scrap metal
- E-waste such as televisions, computers, printers and monitors
- Green waste and timber
Items NOT eligible for free disposal:
- Tyres and car parts (incur $10 fee per tyre, dependent on size)
- Gas bottles (incur $11 fee per gas bottle)
- Mattresses (incur $11 fee per mattress)
- Asbestos (as per fee and charge schedule)
- Commercial waste (as per fee and charge schedule)
Items the landfill is NOT licensed to accept:
- Flares – Department of Transport can accept these.
- Paint – Can be dropped to PAINTCOLLECT located at the Cleanaway depot on Archer St, Broome.
- Domestic chemical or hazardous waste - Cleanaway can accept these.