Council contracts the kerbside waste and recycling service to Cleanaway. The service is a weekly kerbside waste and a fortnightly recycling collection service within the town area of Broome.
Please find your recycling calendar here. 2021 Recycling Calendar(PDF, 223KB).
Please find your Service day here on our interactive map
For additional, new, stolen or damaged bin or a cancellation of a service, please fill out the Kerbside Waste & Recycling Bin Form.
For both commercial and domestic bin repairs (lids & wheels only) please complete the Bin Repair Form.
For Commercial kerbside bin changes or amendments to services please use the Commercial Kerbside Waste & Recycling Bin form.
For any kerbside related queries, including missed waste and recycle bin pick-ups, please call Cleanaway on 9194 5200.
The waste bins have a green lid. The contents of this bin are sent to landfill at the Waste Management Facility.
What can go in your waste bin:
- All plastic bags, soft plastics and packaging, wrappers and bubble wrap
- Wire, string, rope, hoses
- Foam and polystyrene packaging
- Nappies, hygiene items and wipes
- Pet waste and kitty litter
- Cigarette butts – with no embers
- Treated timber
- Laminated paper and stickers
- Old textiles such as clothing, doonas, pillows, etc.
- Garden waste
DO NOT place in your waste bin:
- Car/household batteries
- Scrap metal
- Car / auto parts
- Gas bottles
- Hot ashes
- Motor oil
- Building materials or concrete
- Hazardous materials (e.g. asbestos, chemicals, paint,)
- Medical waste
The recycling bin has a yellow lid and is emptied fortnightly every alternate week. The contents of the recycle bin go to the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) at Cleanaway. The material is then sorted partially by machine and partially by hand into recyclable material and residual waste (contaminated recycling). The recyclable material is then baled and sent to Perth by road for recycling. The residual waste is sent to landfill and the glass is stockpiled at the Resource Recovery Area next to the WMF for processing and reuse.
The Council is rolling out large 360L recycling bins to replace the smaller 240L bins. These are being replaced when your old recycling bin is damaged and needs replacing. Please call Cleanaway on 91912 1169 to replace your old recycling bin.
Please place all recyclables loosely in the bin – not in plastic bags. Containers must be free of food and liquid, but rinsing is not required, and remove lids and caps and place these separately in your recycling bin.
What can go in your recycling bin:
- paper and cardboard such as newspapers, glossy magazines, books, envelopes and telephone books
- glass bottles and jars, steel and aluminium tins and cans, pet food cans, food tins, drink cans
- all type 1 and 2 plastics. Check the recycle symbol on the bottoms of the containers. The plastics are usually rigid.
DO NOT put in your recycling bin:
- plastic bags, cling wrap, chip packets, bubble wrap and any other "scrunchy" plastic packaging (these items can be recycled through the REDcycle program at Coles and Woolworths supermarkets)
- foam and polystyrene
- drinking glassware (glass cups, wine glasses etc.)
- crockery or Pyrex
- light globes
- videos and cassette tapes
- motor oil containers
- timber building waste
- gas cylinders
- liquid wastes such as, chemicals, paints, and oils
- batteries, explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic or radioactive wastes, pharmaceutical, clinical and sharps wastes
- window glass and mirrors
- Containers that have a combination of recyclable material or an aluminium lining
Always ensure that your bin is at the kerbside by 6.00am and is clear of obstructions. Cleanaway is not obliged to return to collect bins which are not out in time for collection. Fleet management systems (including cameras and GPS tracking) fitted in all collection vehicles can verify if the bin was out in time.
On collection night do not park cars in front of bins. Cleanaway will not return to service bins that are obstructed by parked vehicles.
Always ensure that bin lids are closed. Overfilled bins causing lids to remain open will not be emptied.
Cleanaway will only service Broome Council bins that are registered to the property address. Bins from other properties, hardware stores, etc will not be serviced.
Council policy require that you retrieve your bin from the kerbside within 24 hours after the service.
If you are a commercial operator in China Town, the bin must be removed from the kerb by 8am of the same day of pick up
Bins should be spaced at least one metre apart.
Bins should face with handles away from the kerb
Filled bin weight must not exceed 65kg.
Your bins always remain the property of Council for the purpose of garbage disposal. They must not be used for any other purpose or removed from the original property to which it was supplied (serial numbers of bins are recorded in property files).