Want to run for Council? Extraordinary Election nominations open soon
Published on 22 January 2024
Nominations will soon open for candidates to run in the March 23 Shire of Broome Extraordinary election for the vacant ninth Council seat previously held by former councillor Harold Tracey.
Nominations opened on Thursday, February 1 and will close at 4pm on Thursday, February 8.
Nominations must be lodged with the Western Australian Electoral Commission Returning Officer at anytime during the above nomination period, or between 2pm and 4pm on February 8 (close of nominations) at the Shire of Broome Administration Office at 27 Weld Street, Broome.
Candidates who stood in the October 2023 Ordinary Election but were unsuccessful are eligible to run again.
Potential candidates should note that this election is not for a full four-year term as the seat was last decided the 2021 Ordinary Election. It will be up for reelection again at the next Ordinary Election in October 2025.
How to nominate
Nominees are required to lodge with the Returning Officer:
- A completed nomination in the prescribed form, signed and witnessed. This form is available from the Returning Officer or the Western Australian Electoral Commission.
- A single A4 page profile of not more than 1,000 characters (including spaces) containing information about the candidate.
- A nomination deposit of $100 (cash, EFT, bank cheque or postal order).
- A recent passport-sized photograph (optional).
- Every candidate must have completed the online course titled Local Government Candidate Induction, available at www.dlgsc.wa.gov.au, prior to nominating.
- (Optional) in addition to your A4 profile, you may provide additional information that you consider to be relevant to your candidature. This written statement must be not more than 2,000 characters (including spaces), must be in the English language and is for publication on the local government’s official website.
The Commission has developed an online system called Nomination Builder to assist candidates to complete their nomination form which includes the candidate profile.
This is the preferred method of completing the nomination form and profile for elections conducted by the Commission. Candidates complete their nomination details and profile, print the completed form which has a reference number allocated and lodge it with the Returning Officer.
The nomination builder can be accessed via www.elections.wa.gov.au.
For more information about nominating, click on the attached PDF or visit www.broome.wa.gov.au/Public-notices/Call-for-nominations
A candidate forum, which will provide information such as the work and responsibilities of being a Councillor is being held 5pm on Thursday, February 1 at the Shire Admin Building Function Room.
If you are thinking of running for Council, come to an informal information session and meet the Broome Shire Acting CEO, have a chat and ask questions!
Everyone welcome and light refreshments will be provided.
If you are unable to attend in person, a Microsoft Teams link will be available on request
Contact 9191 3456 for further information.
Receive the latest Shire news in your inbox