The Shire of Broome is endeavouring to care for its iconic environment by ensuring all appropriate waste goes into landfill, and all items that can be reused and recycled are separated, and used again.
Recycling and reuse happens at your kerbside bin and also at the landfill.
Items that can be recycled through the kerbside bin service are:
- paper and cardboard such as newspapers, glossy magazines, books, envelopes and telephone books.
- glass bottles and jars, steel and aluminium tins and cans, pet food cans, food tins, drink cans.
- all type 1 and 2 plastics. Check the recycle symbol on the bottoms of the containers. The plastics are usually rigid.
DO NOT put in your recycling bin:
- plastic bags, cling wrap, chip packets, bubble wrap and any other "scrunchy" plastic packaging (these items can be recycled through the REDcycle program at Coles and Woolworths supermarkets).
- foam and polystyrene.
- drinking glassware (glass cups, wine glasses etc.).
- crockery or Pyrex.
- light globes.
- videos and cassette tapes.
- motor oil.
- timber building waste.
- gas cylinders.
- liquid wastes such as, chemicals, paints, and oils.
- batteries, explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic or radioactive wastes, pharmaceutical, clinical and sharps wastes.
- window glass and mirrors.
- Containers that have a combination of recyclable material or an aluminium lining.
Once the items are placed into the recycle bin, they are taken to the Material Recovery Facility at Cleanaway’s depot in Broome. The material is then sorted partially by machine and partially by hand into recyclable material and residual waste (contaminated recycling). The recyclable material is then baled and sent to Perth by road for recycling. The residual waste is sent to landfill and the glass is stockpiled at the Resource Recovery Area at the landfill for processing and reuse.
The Council is rolling out large 360L recycling bins to replace the smaller 240L bins. These are being replaced when your old recycling bin is damaged and needs replacing. Please call Cleanaway on 9194 5200 to replace or upgrade your old recycling bin.
It is important that the kerbside bin is not contaminated and that only recyclable material goes in the bins, as contamination in the recycle bin can cause contamination of the whole load.